November 17, 2022
- The Vice Chancellor of Makerere University Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe
- Your Excellency the Ambassador of Sweden to the Republic of Uganda, Ms. Maria Hakansson
- Esteemed Members of the Makerere University Senate here present
- Members of Parliament Present
- The Registrar General of the Uganda Registration Services Bureau, Ms. Mercy Kainobwisho
- Distinguished ladies and gentlemen,
It is a great honor and privilege for me on behalf of the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO) and indeed on my own behalf to address this important gathering marking the official launch of the Sweden-Makerere Days of Excellence as part of Makerere 100 Years Celebration. We remain encouraged and inspired to join these celebrations and send greetings to our fellow alumni, friends, and benefactors joining us on this occasion. I am particularly honored to deliver these remarks, as I attribute my career path to the crucible of Makerere University. Every day, I appreciate my time at Makerere as a law student as having been a worthwhile experience, but it is times like this when we witness the extraordinary impact of Makerere University, that I am most proud to be an alumnus of this outstanding University.
Today, Makerere University’s impact spans the whole continent, and beyond. As the students routinely become alumni, they validate the quality of Makerere University academe through the meaningful impact they continue to create; entrepreneurial spirit and professionalism, which have all come to define a Makerere University graduate. This University has indeed affirmed its historical commitment to academic erudition and freedom, as well as open inquiry and moral, ethical values, which have all redounded to it providing transformative and innovative learning and teaching to respond to the dynamic national and global needs.